Monday, December 3, 2012

S.M.S

Save My Sanity


"We just put our hair up in beehives, you know, like they used to do when you were young."

"Ohhh... we weren't rolling around on the floor fighting, we were....performing a skit!"

"Yo, what up giiiiirl?"

"T should be your best friend, he invited you for Thanksgiving."
*I was then invited to Christmas and Hanukkah and had to remind them that I actually have my own family.

Every time something happens in the classroom, this kid screams out "IT'S THE ILLUMINATI!!!" and now a bunch of them are into making those triangles with their hands during class and sneaking to freeze the image of the illuminati under the document camera. I thought they were just super into the Da Vinci Code movie or something but turns out it's some rap thing. Also, that made me feel old.

The same kid told me he noticed that my number jars were ordered 2, 1, 3 and if that actually meant I was a fan of Nate Dogg (another rap thing that I had to google...). How did he know I specifically choose my favorite artists by the number of songs they have with explicit ratings?

"It's your birthday? Are you turning 24?" Bless you child, bless you.

After listening to an 8th grader try multiple rounds of "Colors of the Wind" with the wrong words, I suggested that perhaps he didn't actually know the words... or the tune. I thought he was singing Happy Birthday from across the room. He started doing something on his computer and then in the middle of an activity asked if he could get something from the printer. "No, you may not go get your lyrics to Colors of the Wind in the middle of class." He replied with, "Come on, will you sing it at the talent show with me? I'm not even kidding!".

No comments:

Post a Comment