Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ain't No Crazy Like a Middle School Crazy

Current event presentation question and response from one student to another:
"How far do you think the Seahawks will be able to go?"
"Too far, just too far."
"Well, I think they'll do well, sine if you look carefully you can see the illuminati symbol in the helmet..."
Yeah, that kid is still really into that illuminati thing. Luckily they have a pretty short attention span so I'm fairly confident it will be old news by the time we come back from break. I hope.

"Can we bring our cell phones into incentive day?"
"No."
"Come on, even the mean teacher last year let us!"
Oddly enough, that didn't persuade me.

I was hosting a movie/PJ/popcorn party for our incentive day at school. I saw two of my students in the hall that morning. One was wearing regular pajamas and his mom's slippers. The other one was wearing a full on onesie. They asked me where my pajamas were, I wasn't wearing any.
"Did you guys just sign up for my incentive day because you were hoping I would wear my pajamas and you could make fun of me"
"Umm....kind of."
Don't worry, I was mature about it. "Well, the joke is on you guys!" Ok, so maybe I wasn't.

Later in class, a guy came to fix my computer. When he walked in I turned to show him where the computer was and saw the kid in the onesie sitting on his desk, legs full in the air yelling to his group "Look how flexible I am! I stretch every night. I can also touch my toes if you want to see." It was like if you had a child and they did something super embarrassing in public and you wanted to pretend you didn't know them.

A student was giving a presentation and two kids were talking in the back of the room. I asked them what was SO important that they had to talk about it right then.
"Well, I was just asking him about the name of these special kind of slippers you can wear outside."
While I was thinking about how dumb that sounded, this other kid stole the words right out of my mouth, "They are called SHOES."

The best part of yesterday was when one of my students came in at the end of the day and said  "Are my pants in here?"

Today I was grading papers, my arch nemesis, when I saw something partially erased on an assignment. On closer inspection, I read "I will murder your face off if you touch me again", followed by a smiley face. I guess she was taking matters into her own hands? I would also just like to point out that I was not at school that day, so whatever was happening can be blamed on my substitute teacher :)

Some boys in my class today, the same ones who were giving me a hard time about the pajamas, were talking to me about the movie at school tomorrow night. I was asking about what food they were selling because I'm coaching until it starts and then chaperoning the movie. They were sweet and said "We'll bring you dinner from KFC". I mentioned that it was odd that KFC was their first choice and how I hadn't eaten there since I was like 7. That literally flabbergasted them. One of them said "I will get that KFC and shove it in your face!" Umm...thanks?

One of the science teachers that most all of my students have was also my high school science teacher. He already told them that a few months ago, but apparently they didn't all get the memo. Today one of them shouted out "He was YOUR science teacher???? That is blowing my mind!!!"

A student was being annoying today (weird, I know) in the middle of class and I stopped and was looking at him, waiting for him to stop with my teacher stare, I'm sure you know what I mean. Another student said to him "She wants to stab you" (also I'd like to clarify that I do NOT want to stab any students.). He said "with what?" And another girl said "Her eyes".

During our basketball game this evening, I told a girl to hurry and sub in. What I envisioned happening was her hurrying to check in and then waiting to be called in by the ref. What really happened: She got up off the bench and literally sprinted full speed onto the court in the middle of the game. She's also the one who can roll her eyes SO well during the game that I can see it from across the court. That's impressive.


Just another day in paradise. And I promise, I really do teach and they really are learning in between all the hilarity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment