Tuesday, May 21, 2013

M.I.A.

I'm back!

Between grad school, teaching, coaching and family, it's a little hard to keep track of the weird junk the kids do sometimes! Here's a little update on our happenings in 8th grade...

The kids are working on a project in which they have to research one decade in their groups.
Tales from the Research:

-One of the kids was looking up fashion from the 90s. I could hear him telling his group that he couldn't understand why the same lady kept popping up in all the pictures of hairstyles. When I looked at the picture I cleared that mystery up. Don't we all remember when everyone wanted the Jennifer Aniston?

-It is a general consensus that fashion from the 90s was pretty terrible.

-While kids from the 90s group have been looking up music from the decade, I've been having high school dance flashbacks. Also, they have all taken to singing "I Want it That Way". Nothing like a little BSB to get you through the day. Except if you hear it 10 times per day...that gets rough.

-I had to explain the difference between a VCR and a VHS.

-Some kids were practicing their dancing for their music video. 2 boys were holding hands and spinning in a circle (this may or may not have been my idea...). One of the boys had the happiest look on his face, just pure joy, when the other one let go of his hands and he flew across the room. Watching his face go from complete excitement to utter panic was maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen. I started laughing so hard I couldn't move and I was crying. I did make sure he was ok, I'm not a total monster. 

-Some of the kids were looking up slang and didn't know what "all that and a bag of chips" meant. Is that not cool anymore? Kidding!

Other Bits of Joy - 

-I teach one period of 6th grade study skills. There's a charming young man in this class who often has trouble saying things that are related to what the rest of us are discussing. The other day, the kids were presenting on the career they would like to have and some information they researched about it. One girl wanted to be a singer and then sang us part of a song she wrote. She also told us she wanted to be in a band. This young man raised his hand and said "I don't think you need to be in a band, I think you have a good voice and could do it by yourself". We were all shocked and the entire class started clapping for him. It was pretty sweet. Today the same kid asked me if I was married and I said no. He asked if I was going to get married and I said I didn't know that. He said "there might be someone out there waiting for you". You just never know when kids are going to say something super precious. 

-Speaking of precious, you should see kids attempting to do high jump at track. They don't give up and I'm proud of them, but MAN it's painful to watch them just straight dive in and take a hard pole to the armpit. Yesterday a girl at practice took the pole to the side after she dive bombed it and then stood up, and walked off yelling "I JUST NEED A MINUTE!" She recovered :) 

-Also, hurdles are somewhat challenging for the uncoordinated middle school child. Our first meet included a variety of hurdles to the shins and kids eating it on the track. 

-One kid on our team was running a sprint, slowed down when he passed the crowd so that he could wave to his adoring fans and then kept running. It was incredible. Although all of us that are coaching were screaming "KEEP RUNNING!!!"

-The amount of children that go gumby arms when they run is astonishing. You'd think it would feel weird to let your arms fly behind you like noodles, but apparently not. 


-When I was proctoring the MSP. I looked up to check on kids to find an 8th grader going straight for the old nostrils. Nothing like a good nose-pick to boost your test score.



-I looked at the digital clock on the wall yesterday, one of the kids had taped a sign over the numbers that said "ain't nobody got time for that".

-A kid at track sat on a bee and subsequently got stung in the booty. I have never seen someone react so dramatically to a bee sting. He told me it was a "bullfrog bee" and that he thought he was having an allergic reaction. I told him he looked fine and that probably his throat or something would swell up. He told me "well, my saliva feels dry". Don't worry, he was fine.

-I just noticed the other day that someone had taped a sign on the outside of my window that says "this class is photoshopped".


-A few days ago, my mouse stopped working randomly and I had to re-start my computer to get it going again. Today, it stopped working again and so I re-started it but the mouse still wasn't moving on the screen. When I turned the mouse over, you can imagine the joy (false) I felt when I saw that the reason it wasn't working was because some little darling had taped this picture

on the bottom. Later in the day, I went to use the presentation computer and found that the mouse wasn't working on that one either. Luckily, I was onto them and found the same lovely image taped to the back. I was rather irritated and vowed to find the culprit. I was on my way to a meeting during 6th period when I passed a group of kids, some of which are in my class. One of them was giggling uncontrollably when he saw me. I knew I had found the prankster. He asked me how my computer was doing. Caught ya. 




-My student with the love for hoodies came in the other day wearing a button up shirt with a tiny tree in the pocket. He said he got it at a wedding. I do have to admire his pioneering attitude when it comes to fashion. 

-When we were learning about Pearl Harbor, one of the boys was telling us about how he loves the movie. He then went on a weird rant about how he could NOT believe that the best friend would date his dead best friend's girlfriend and how he would NEVER DO THAT. His best friend is in the same class, so I said "well, at least you know he won't date your girlfriend if you die". His friend responded with "oh, I would." True friendship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment