Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Scoop

It's been a smidge busy 'round here, so here's the highlights from the past few weeks...


Chaperoning the Dance, AKA: The Greatest Night in History

Things I was horrified by - 
*Kids dressed as prisoners. Sign of the future?
*Kids dating each other. They are children!
*Pelvic dance moves, lots of pelvic dance moves. I literally shouted at this kid "stop it with those move with your pelvis!" Just doing my job people. 

Things I LOVED - 
*My sister and I went together. Claaaaaassic dance scenario. Plus we had fab costumes. 
*The kid wearing the giant tv box as a costume and whacking into people every time he turned. 
*Spending the entire 2 hours dancing. That's a workout my friends.
*Being laughed at by middle schoolers for the whole 2 hours. I think they were laughing in more like a "wow, we're super impressed by your moves" kind of way. Right?
*Inspiring the formation of a dance circle around my sister and I. Yeah, we're pretty cool. 
*Seeing so many kids I know having a great time with their friends. 
*Watching all 200 kids lose their minds when Gangam Style came on. You are really missing out if you haven't seen 13 year olds do that dance move. 

Things I'm Still Confused About - 
*Seeing this post on the library page regarding the best moments of the dance: "My best moment at the dance would have to be when we were in the photo booth. Also seeing my L.A./S.S teacher dance old school style." What does that mean? Is the running man not cool anymore? If the running man is wrong, then I don't want to be right. 
*Kids do a LOT of jumping up and down when they dance. It's actually quite tiring. 
*None of the kids knew the song "Bust a Move". It was sad. 

Basically, it was awesome and I can't wait for the next one. And the return of the running man. I'll never let go. 

Tidbits O' Funny From My Classes

*Every time one of my student learns something interesting he yells "that just blew my mind!". The other day he said something and then yelled "I just blew my own mind!"
*On Halloween several students in one class asked me if I was going to go trick or treating. I finally just announced to the whole class that 30 was a little old to be trying to trick or treat and one of them passionately yelled out "YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO TRICK OR TREAT!!!". While I appreciated his enthusiasm, I'm not trying to get doors slammed in my face. Another student told me I could pretend to be his mom and go with him. Wow, absolutely not. 
*I overheard this during my class of 6th graders: "Well, I'm practically a grown man" "No you're not, you're 12."
*"I'm going to call you G because your last name starts with G and you're basically gangsta."
*The phrase I utter 30 times per day? "Who is making that annoying sound?!"

It's crazy, but I love it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment