Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kids These Days

Sometimes kids say things that make me plop my head on the desk.
Sometimes kids say things that make me blow my top.
Sometimes kids say things that make me cry with laughter.

And sometimes, every now and then, kids say things that really make the job worthwhile.

Today, one of my students asked me if I had taught middle school before. I said no. She said:
"You are just doing a really great job. I mean, you always get your point across. And people are ALWAYS interrupting you and you just get control and keep going. I just think you are doing so great."

Normally I would be suspicious, but this kid didn't even want anything from me. No extension, no new seat...nothing! She just said it out of the blue and it was the nicest thing.

So, when people say to me that middle school must be a nightmare and it sounds horrible and the kids must be awful, this is what I think about. The small moments, the laughter, the learning, the connections with kids. And you know, you kind of get used to the smell :)


No comments:

Post a Comment