Saturday, January 12, 2013

Toys and Teens

This is a tech deck:

lens11256681_1275080986tech_deck.jpg
It has been ruining my life for several years now. There was  a brief time when I thought they had gone out of style...but they're back. At least for two of my 8th graders. We've had several encounters between the boys, myself and the tech decks in the last few weeks. 
1) When this group showed us their vocabulary video, part of it was the two of them, at Dairy Queen, playing with tech decks. I tried to imagine walking into DQ and seeing a kid filming other kids playing with tiny skateboards...
2) The 20th time I saw one of them with their tech deck out I said "Hey, you know what's SUPER cool about those tech decks?" He looked really excited and said "What?!" I said "It will fly SO far when I throw it out that window!". He quickly put it in his pocket. Later, the other student was playing with his. I asked the other boy to repeat what I told him. His version was, "She said it'll look really cool when she throws it out the window". He sadly put it in his pocket while saying "That WOULDN'T look cool."
3) Yesterday, I was planning in my classroom and a bunch of kids, including those two, were in the open space outside my room for math class. I heard a noise and looked up. It was one of the boys rolling his tech deck down my entire set of windows while staring at me. Don't worry, he didn't settle for just one time. He went for three. And I couldn't stop laughing. 

I want to gather all of the tech decks in the world and run them over with my car. 
Also, I love those two kids, even when they drive me crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment